Thursday, February 2, 2012

May I have my dish back?

This year I vowed to only give home-made gifts. Yes, It would be much easier to run into the nearest CVS and grab a gift card, but if you're like me, you'll agree the act of gift-giving has become too impersonal. Giving a great gift is truly an art. It's taking the time to think about what the recipient would really appreciate, what they desire but wouldn't buy for themselves or something to show you really know them. Which leads me to ask myself, "What H-E-double toothpicks were you thinking?!!"

February is a crazy birthday month for our family. First up is my mom. She's single and therefore, doesn't cook for herself very often. I'm thinking a couple of freezable home-cooked meals are in order. Next is my niece, brother-in-law, sister-in-law AND if that's not enough, my mother-in-law. Whew!

I have been thinking really hard about what to make for my mother-in-law and then it hit me while having dinner at their house a few nights ago. Last year, I gave her a set of Pyrex ovenware. Of the five, she has two left. Why?, you ask. Because she does what I'm sure most of us are guilty of; she fills them up with delicious goodies, takes them over to other peoples' homes and there they stay. I remembered seeing this idea on Pinterest and thought it would be PERFECT for her! So off to Michael's I went to gather supplies.

I bought the etching cream and a foam pouncing brush.


On my way home I picked up a set of Pyrex dishes.

I should have read the bottle first and I would have known the etching cream doesn't work too well on Pyrex. I didn't realize that until it was already on the glassware. If you can, try and buy a different brand.
Oh well, too late now, continue on....

I already had a TON of stickers at home. If you don't, grab some while you're at Michael's. Pick the side of the dish you want to etch and sticker away.


Pounce on a thick layer of the etching cream and wait at least 10 minutes. 


 Rinse off with soap and water and WAHLAH!... A personalized baking dish!


With any luck, she'll be able to hold onto these a little longer this time =)

This entire project cost around $25. At $12, the etch cream was a little pricey but I have plenty left over for other projects. I could have saved money but I always forget to bring my 40% off coupon to Michael's....DARN!  

No comments:

Post a Comment