Friday, February 3, 2012

Let them eat cake

My love for cake stands runs almost as deep as my love for cake... I said "ALMOST!" Let's not get crazy!
Everyday food just seems a little more decadent when served on a cake stand: pancakes piled high, stacks of sandwiches, mountains of muffins. Shoot! I would even serve a Thanksgiving turkey on a cake stand if I wasn't worried about it toppling over and forever being know as the girl who ruined Thanksgiving.
If only they weren't so darn expensive....

GOOD NEWS!! They're NOT!!

After finding DIY Cake Stands on Pinterest, I was inspired! I immediately jumped into my car and headed to the thrift store. Using what I purchased, and some random items I found laying around my house, I was able to make all of these adorable cake stands for under $35!!



Here's How 

Hit up thrift stores, garage sales, dollar stores, craigslist or your parent's dusty attic and gather a bunch of sturdy candle holders, vases and goblets. The bigger the base the better. Don't overlook the smaller ones though, you can use those to make single cupcake stands. After all, from what I'm told, size doesn't matter... wink wink...

Moving on, You are going to need plates, platters, pie pans basically anything that looks pretty when set atop your base. The pink cake stand on the right is actually made from an inverted tart pan.


Glue the base and the top together using a strong epoxy or cement and let sit upside-down over night.


I actually found this one at the 99cent Only Store. Even the glue was a bargain!


If you want, you can stop there. I didn't do anything to these cutie pies cakes except for glue them together.
Total cost - $4.50!!

Because these were not painted, these cake stands are food safe.

Others will need to be painted. Put down a layer of newspapers and spray the entire piece with glass frost. I did as suggested and sprayed the bottom first. After dry, I flipped it over and sprayed the top. This primes the glass for the colored spray paint. Do NOT skip this step!


Once the entire piece is dry, you're ready for color! Again, I sprayed with the bottom and then the top.


Let dry completely (about 24 hrs) and they're ready to use!

These two are my favorite!

I need to mention that because of the spray paint, these are NOT FOOD SAFE.
Food should not come in direct contact with the painted surface. Put a doily, parchment paper or a clear plate on top of the stand before displaying food. ENJOY!!

2 comments: